Thursday, June 26, 2014

Cut a watermelon - easy to eat, no mess

I read this on one of the recipe sites i frequent on cutting a watermelon  and had to tell you foodies about this.

I feel silly writing an article about how I cut a watermelon. Last summer when my husband saw me cut a watermelon this way, he looked at me funny, wondering what the heck I was doing. I guess he’d never watched me cut a watermelon in the 15 years we’ve been together.
When I picked up the pieces and gave them to our son he said, “that is genius! You need to post that!”
I highly doubt I’m the first mama to cut a watermelon like this. I shook it off thinking, who’s going to want to read an article about cutting watermelon?
Then my friend Cari H. sent me this article that she found on Pinterest and then she also suggested I write about how I cut too. I don’t claim to know how to pick a stellar watermelon, and I really love the advice that they suggest on picking one. I have been following it since she sent me the link. But I guess my cutting method makes for easy eating, especially for little ones.
If you have a giant watermelon, I suggest cutting yours the way Fifteen Spatulas did. If you have a medium-sized watermelon or one of those mini watermelons, then give this method a shot.
Step 1:
Cut the watermelon in half.

Step 2:
Take one half and place it cut side down. Cut it into sections approximately 1 to 1.5 inches thick.

Step 3:
Rotate the melon 90° and repeat, creating 1 inch squares in the skin.

Step 4:
Toss the end pieces that are mostly or all skin and rind. Then pick up the pieces and eat.

Step 5:
Enjoy!
I’ll be honest that a photo of a kid biting into a giant wedge of watermelon makes for a cuter photo, but this method seems to create less of a mess and is easy for little fingers to pick up and eat with out leaving a lot of waste behind.





Thank you http://www.mamasaywhat.com/cutting-a-watermelon/ a community of moms

No comments:

Post a Comment