Friday, June 20, 2014

Delux - must visit for authentic Malayali cusine

The Veg meal on banana leaf

For Mallu food on a banana leaf – this is THE place. For a satisfying meal which is easy on the pocket head here. The tiny restaurant in Fort, is on Pitha St off PM Rd (near The Bombay Store. A small South Indian temple is my landmark to this lane. 

Don’t get waylaid at “Taste of Kerala” as Delux is much better!  

We recently went for lunch. Ensure you sit upstairs as downstairs only a la carte is available and it’s not air conditioned. It doesn’t deter people, the downstairs is always full. On offer is fish, seafood, mutton, chicken and duck as Vembanad Lake is home to loads of ducks - so it’s a big part of Kerala cuisine.

As we go for the vegetarian lunch on banana leaf which is a MUST HAVE here, trek up the stairs. As people leave, the plastic sheet covering the table is changed and you are seated at a clean table. 

Reach before 1 pm to ensure a table, its always crowded or be prepared to wait – we did!

Despite being a die-hard carnivore I relish  the Kerala style vegetarian meal on banana leaf – all my favourite preparations eaten in my best friend’s house (Ro please note)are served – avial, toran, with lashing of rice (red if you can else white) sambar, rasam, papad, pickles,

We had a prawn masala (dry) and surmai fry in addition to the veg meal. On previous occasions I have enjoyed the chicken roast and sukha mutton.

Next time I will visit and not eat non veg at all just focus on the thali ,…. Actually will have the prawns and try the duck which is a speciality (back waters et al)

My husband discovered this restaurant some years ago and introduced me to it. Now I am their “unofficial” brand ambassador introducing it to those who haven’t yet discovered it.

Its in the SST category (Sastha Sundar Thikhao) or as I would say in Bengali – Khabar khub bhalo, jaaga ta shadharan!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment