Saturday, August 31, 2013

Seafood feast at Jaihind – made my Bong heart sing




This afternoon my seafood loving 10 year old son, V, my friend from London, S and I went for lunch to Jaihind Restaurant, Rizvi House, Hill Rd, Bandra (near Globus Theatre).
This tiny place serves up such great seafood, it means one does not need to visit the likes of Trishna or Mahesh in town. 
Air conditioned but no alcohol. Always packed so recommend you make a reservation like we did.  
Jaihind is a much loved, long time favourite of mine, right from  2001 when I worked in an office located opposite their 2nd restaurant on Senapati Bapat Marg. Lower Parel. I never need to consult a menu to order.
Here’s what we gorged on:
Squid fry as squid is V’s most loved seafood along with smoked salmon, lightly fried in rawa
Macchi fry, Surmai for me and a whole small pomfret for S, both lightly fried
Bharla Bombil (rolls made of bombil stuffed with shrimp). Quite a unique Bombil preparation, try it if you haven’t …
Goa Prawn curry, always delicious here…I prefer this curry to the heavier gassi
Clams Ajadina  - we had to order a 2nd serving as V loved it. This clam dish is lightly spiced with a bit of grated coconut and is just perfect
Neer dosa  
Caramel custard, specially for S, who loves it – so do I but I refrained from eating it
The meal was accompanied by sol kadi and chaas.
There was nothing that wasn’t perfect. The bill with tip of 2100 came to Rs 700 per head – great value for a seafood feast. Can’t wait to return…  
NOTE: when you call http://www.justdial.com/ for the number, do specify it’s the Rizvi House one you want, else you’ll get the number of their very basic outlet at Pali Market – great to order from but not for eating in

No comments:

Post a Comment